Sunday, January 1, 2012

Coming Back to Normal

As I have been brainstorming for a new post, I realize something. Not only have I strayed from the original purpose of this blog, I want to return to it. I wanted to use it to give my perspective on spiritual matters and deep topics. Topics that had lots of significance in the world today. I have failed miserably. I'm not going to make this a New Year's Resolution, because I don't want it to be happening just because 2012 has rounded the corner. I want this to be happening because I have changed.

I spent the afternoon of the 30th through today at White Sulphur Springs. This place is one of my favorite places to be because of the amazing community and opportunities for service. But I'm not going to talk about the things I did or that happened while I was up there (as awesome or hilariously stupid they were).

The speaker we had talked about normalness. That is, referring to the fact that we are far from normal. Look where we have strayed when it comes to Christian families. It is the norm for churches to host divorce-recovery retreats, single-parent meetings, or even encourage homosexual ministers within the congregation. But it is not right! I come from a divorced home, where my dad attended a single-parent group before he got remarried, and then he and my step-mom now run a "blended family" group. I smile sheepishly when I tell people I have six siblings - because two are step-siblings, three are half-siblings, and one is my blood sister.

But I don't like it. What happened to the families that stayed strong through hardships? What happened to the mothers and fathers who fought to save their marriages? What happened to the slow and God-scripted love stories that happened when we focused on God?

Anyone in the church will say it is because we are all sinners. But that is wrong. We were all sinners.

Some people have expressly fought against this. Some have said something to the effect of both sides. But very few hold the fort with me - that sin should be something of the past.

Christ died to save us from our sins, 'tis true. 'Tis completely true. I would be a fool to deny it. I would be a fool to say anything but that. But Him saving us from our sins does not mean we should get up and go drown ourselves in them the next day!

Sin is disobedience of what God has told us. What is the reasoning behind a certain action? Is it in line with the way a servant of God should be thinking? If it is not, it's time to put down the computer, the video games, the books, the pens and papers, and spend some time examining yourself in God's presence. I shall do the same.

No comments: