Saturday, February 11, 2012

Creation and Choreography

Here at Messiah, Spring semester of their first year, students are required to take a class called "Created and Called for Community," also known as CCC (or triple C or C-cubed... whatever floats your boat). The class is split up into three sections, of which I only remember the first - Creation. Mainly because everyone in CCC has to do a Creation Project. What is the Creation Project? You ask. I'll tell you.

Maybe someday.

Not in this paragraph either.





Nor in this one.








I think I've tortured you enough.







ENOUGH!

The creation project seeks to make students dig deep within to find the creativity that God gave them to do SOMETHING related to creation. That means one can write a poem or short story or short essay, or paint or draw a picture, design a computer graphic, put together a video, a song, a dance... yes, the options are limitless. It just has to do with creation.

But in this, I am stuck.

I knew right off the bat that I wanted to choreograph a dance. I LOVE dance, so it would make sense for me to use that art form.

The trouble came in choosing a song. Should I choose a worship song? Can I find a song on creation and dance to that? Ooh, I could find a Hebrew song about creation! Oh, most of them are about love...

See my dilemma? So right now I'm torn between using choreography I came up with to a song by Gad Elbaz, an Israeli artist, or choreography for a worship song. Or even ditching the choreography I already have been working on for both of those songs for another time, and choosing a new song altogether. Aaaarrrghhhh.

And so, my dear readers (all two or three of you), what should I do? This is the description for the project:

Students will interact with the assigned texts by producing a project that demonstrates their understanding of one of the themes within the creation unit, such as the creation of the earth, the role of arts and culture, humanity as created being, or the significance of creativity. The project’s form should reflect your interests and skills...

These are the songs I have considered or already have choreography in progress for. I'll include the other part-choreography ones just to see what you think.
  • Mashmauyot by Gad Elbaz
  • Here in Your Presence by New Life Worship
  • Beloved by Tenth Avenue North
  • We Delight by Caedmon's Call (Those who know I already completed the choreography for this years ago, I am in the process of revamping it.)
  • Find your Wings by Mark Harris

And songs I've already choreographed that I could record a performance of:
  • Blessed Be Your Name by Tree63
  • Born Again by Newsboys
  • Sing Your Praise to the Lord by Amy Grant
So, what do you guys think?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

"The creation project seeks to make students dig deep within to find the creativity that God gave them to do SOMETHING related to creation."

OK, what aspects of creation are we talking about here?
Mashmauyot looks like it almost might be good, but I can't figure out the actual translation of the lyrics, just a lame Google version the I know is wrong. You can try to decipher them with translators and such from this page where I found the Hebrew lyrics.
http://www.lifemusic.co.il/songs.php?id=14386

Sarah said...

Pretty much any aspect of creation. The prompt is included up there. "...one of the themes within the creation unit, such as the creation of the earth, the role of arts and culture, humanity as created being, or the significance of creativity."


http://www.freewebs.com/gadelbazlyrics/meaningsenglish.htm
.If well look into the Heaven
without looking for answers
then maybe well understand that there is above
maybe we will want to change
don't stop in the middle of the path
turn around and look behind you
then you will get used to the heat of the sun
and the light surrounding you

if youll just believe that its dependent upon you
you wont want to change
and you have in you the strength
to continue and not to fall
just remember that it will never be too late

inside of me the flame flickers
she ignites thoughts in me
and my body she conquers
I am lost between the answers

ask the man at the end of the path
and you will see he is still existent
then get used to the light of the sun
like a newborn baby

if you'll just believe that it wont be too late
if youll just believe that it wont
if youll just believe more than this
if youll just believe more youll promise yourself



But then there's also the Google translation which fails in a couple places...

If we look to the skies
Without for significance
Maybe we understand that where
We might want to change (vary)
Do not stop on the way
Look around you
So Thsf solar heat
And the light around you

If only you would understand this hanging
Not want to change
And you have the power
Continue and not fall
Just remember that once
Will not be late

The fire inside me whispers
She Mtzita me think
My body is so captivating
I lost the answers
Asked the man at the end of the road
And see it exists
Then be exposed to sunlight
As a child born

If only you'll understand ...

If only you'll realize that it is too late
If only you'll realize that it is too late
If only you'll realize that it is too late
If only you'll realize that it is too late

If you just would not understand
If only you'll understand more than
If you go deeply into your body
Believe you will trust yourself

If you just would not understand
If only you'll understand more than
If you go deeply into your body
Believe you will trust yourself

If only you understand